The components of our 100Gbps SDN testbed are shown below. (PDF of the figure below)
Generic Testbed Capabilities
- Access to high-speed hosts with 100G Ethernet NICs, fast RAID disk systems, running the latest Linux kernel.
- Ability to create point to point as well as multi-point circuits using SDN.
- Ability to try out various types of QoS options with SDN
- Ability to add your own virtual switches (OVS) and virtual sites using VMs on the testbed.
Some specific use cases we plan to support include:
- Assess the impact of various types of QoS on application performance. For example, for various numbers of parallel streams, TCP/UDP variants, tuning settings, what QoS settings give the best performance.
- Intelligent Network Architecture
- Dynamic traffic steering using: based on emulated packet loss characteristics, steer a data flow along an alternate path.
- Test various SDN architectures leveraging flexible OVS switches, hardware SDN switches, and complex overlay topologies
- Performance testing
- Multi-point TCP testing
- Dynamically add perfSONAR hosts to a multi-point VLAN and run a test
- Use packet header analysis to trigger setting up a new path based on loss characteristics
- Security testing
- Dynamic packet capture for IDS's based on the traffic profile