CS Staff to Share Strategies, Expertise at 100G and Beyond Workshop
ESnet, along with Calit2 (the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology) CENIC (the Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California) are convening the 100G and Beyond Workshop, a one-day invited workshop on Tuesday, February 26, at Calit2 on the UC San Diego campus.
The workshop will examine the ways in which 100 gigbabit-per-second networking will impact applications in many areas, including science, health care, and media arts applications; campus and lab strategies; smart manufacturing; network innovation; and regional, national and international testbeds. ESnet, rolled out its 100 Gbps network last November – the first national 100 Gbps science network in the world.
ESnet and NERSC staff will share their expertise in a number of workshop sessions.
- Brent Draney of NERSC will chair and participate in a panel discussion on Campus and Lab Strategies.
- ESnet Chief Technologist Inder Monga will chair the Network Innovations panel, as well as join a discussion on “SDN: Hype vs. Hope.”
- Zarija Lukic of CRD’s Computational Cosmology Center will also join the SDN discussion, and present on “Future Coupling of Major Instruments: NERSC and SDSC.”
- ESnet’s Brian Tierney will describe “Deploying and Testing Networking Innovations on a Wide Scale: ESnet” as part of a panel on Scientific Workflows and Testbeds.
- ESnet Director Greg Bell will join a discussion on next steps in the closing session, “From Campus Innovation to California/National Testbeds.”